Surviving Winter Storm Jonas in NC

I’m on my 3rd day in a row of not leaving the house thanks to Snowstorm Jonas. Well, 75% of it is because of Jonas… the other 25% is that I just don’t want to. I went to the store on Thursday and blew my budget on enough groceries to last us til next weekend and when given the opportunity to hunker down, I’m going to do just that. Scrolling my Facebook wall and apparently a lot of people don’t appreciate nature’s way of saying “chill out, eat fat food and binge watch Netflix” because they’re all itching to drive on ice.

Seriously.. this is what my street looks like 30 hours after the last snowflake fell:

Streets in NC are covered in snow and ice

We only got 5″ of snow and sleet and you can’t tell where the yard meets the street and since we live out in the country, we won’t see a snow plow – ever. These kids will be lucky to get to school by Wednesday. And if you’re from the North, save your breath about how snow cripples us because it does. We don’t have the equipment to deal with clearing the stuff out and the only thing our tax payers hate more than being snowed in is paying for equipment that sits the other 360 days a year.

But we’ve made the best of it by sledding and cooking yummy foods.. I took my FitBit off on Friday because who needs that kind of pressure? I even WILLINGLY got out of my sweats and took on our hill of death for 4 runs and lived to talk about it:

I did it. Almost took out the phone pole but I recovered. Now I’m back inside where it’s warm.

A video posted by Kristen Daukas (@kristendaukas) on

I attempted to channel my inner Betty Crocker with the grand idea of making fresh bread and buttermilk biscuits, but my bread was a bust and I forgot to freeze the butter for the biscuits which caused a delay in production. They say good things come to those who wait and these biscuits were to die for.

Similar -   What To Do With Your Rings After a Divorce

Homemade Buttermilk Biscuits

But my soup? Spot on.. tomato basil Friday and baked potato last night. Today? Leftovers 😉

Baked Potato Soup

And no self-respecting southerner has access to snow and doesn’t make snow cream. Best part? I don’t even have to do it anymore… my kids are pros at it now!

Snow cream

So that’s the update from us here in NC. Now I’ve got something for YOU no matter where you live!

Giveaway from Simply Janelle Designs

I wasn’t the only one housebound for a couple of days… my girl Janelle was, too. But instead of baking bread, she was creating art and ended up with a couple of extras and asked if I wanted one to give away. “Why sure!” I said because if you haven’t seen Janelle’s stuff, you’re missing out. She can make art and home decor out of anything and is known to stop at any and all flea markets that come in her path to find “stuff” to make into art.

I love this “Deerly” piece and it’s PERFECT for Valentine’s Day which, if you haven’t checked, is 3 weeks away. This sign measures approximately 11″x13″. Each sign is made from reclaimed wood so the appearance and dimensions will vary slightly. Value is $40 and I promise – it will definitely get lots of compliments! Janelle will ship within the US.

Valentine's Day Giveaway from Simply Janelle Designs

I’ve got ONE to give someone and I’m going to keep the entry simple… all you have to do is leave a comment on this post and tell me your favorite snow day food or activity! That’s it! I’ll choose the lucky person on January 30th – plenty of time for you to gift or keep it for Valentine’s Day!

Similar -   5 Things Your Divorced Friends Want You to Know

If you’re sitting in that 30″ of snow up north.. stay safe and remember.. no one HAS to go out!



Valentine's Day Giveaway from Simply Janelle Designs